2x Plywood Armchairs, Ernö Goldfinger, London, 1995
A pair of armchairs and a side table/foot stool in plywood. Originally designed by Ernö Goldfinger in 1937, which can be seen in the architect’s family home, 2 Willow Road (completed in 1939 and lived in until his death in 1987. The building is now owned by the National Trust, since 1995, and is open for guided tours). The pair inside of the building, painted with grey frames and red seats, never went into production during the lifetime of Goldfinger…
Around the time that the National Trust took over 2 Willow Road, Goldfinger’s grandson (Nick Goldfinger) remade a small batch of the chairs, in unpainted birch plywood. One chair is in unfinished plywood, and the other (along with the side table) has been varnished at conception.
We got in touch with Nick Goldfinger to discuss the act of remaking his grandfather’s work. Read it here on our Journal.